Thursday 19 August 2010

The fate of books (and homo sapiens?)

The SeeWell isn't in sync today and so I'm unable to access my skyfiles which means I cannot access this particularly interesting novel called Indefinite Leave to Remain (www.michaelbraga.com) which I am told was circulated five decades ago. I shout at the Well but that sentient is as always inscrutable. Its shields are up though which means it is reading my anger levels and preparing to be lashed out at in frustration by me, one of the few scribers left. There used to be many of us but that was before the paper run of '19. The toofans that year had been fierce and the flooding of the islands had decided it, POCE (pulp of coniferous origin) was instantly declared a classified resource and all production or use of it ceased. To make sure things stayed that way every old papyrus, bound scroll and those BOOKS were secured in the womb of the Mankind Project. Now my handiwork can only be glimpsed at virtually through Skyfiles. Still Skyfile's a grand service to be running just for little old me with one foot in each era. My first present was an old bound piece of pulped tree to skim through for my Professor of Human Sciences and my last present was a Halucin implant that attempted to transport my meagre memories into TI or total immersion where the rest of humanity dwells these days. It even came with a free TI on Midnights Children that schooling classic that has been on Curriculum for over three decades. Aah well I prefer to glance over and absorb pictures and letters and not be drowned in moving aural and olfactory experiences that require me to boot-down after each silo-ed sensory layer comes crashing into my consciousness. Their large, heavy and dense constructs upsets my fragile webbed interface for I am after all only a first generation SD (sentient scanning device) created just before the Singularity...

No comments:

Post a Comment